With E3 2018 almost being upon us, it’s another week of hype, rumors and eager anticipation with regards to new game reveals from gaming’s biggest names.
Today, we’ll talk about our predictions for the Big N’s E3 showcase and perhaps examine a handful of rumors from the constantly-whirring rumormill.
But before we start, let’s make a note of Nintendo’s situation so far: 2017 was a stellar launch year for the Nintendo Switch, with it’s unique hybrid gaming concept that has so for paid off for them.
With the Switch, Nintendo didn’t just aim to fix everything that went wrong with the lacklustre Wii U but also turn around their reputation and take steps in new directions – and that is apparent by the system’s glowing popularity, dev support and fast sales (of more than 17 million units under a year). They’re also promoting new ideas (like the DIY cardboard kit for Switch, called Labo), reviving the local co-op genre (with games like Snipperclips, and plentiful of commercials focusing on the subject), and overall targeting everyone from young to adult gamers. Therefore we can expect their upcoming game lineup for E3 ans beyond to cater to these points.
Moving on, Nintendo has stated that Super Smash Bros for Switch will be a big focus at E3. Apart from that, there’s other games that we know are coming but haven’t seen any gameplay of, like
- Fire Emblem (working title)
- Metroid Prime 4
- Bayonetta 3
We’ll likely get more details on these at E3.
- A focus on Switch’s local co-op aspects, with some handful of ports to make the new Switch audience familiar with past Nintendo titles.
- New IP from Retro Studios
- Mother 3 localized version
- New Animal Crossing
- New entries in dormant IPs – F-Zero, Wave Race, etc
- Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster
- Another Wii U port – Super Mario Maker?
- Large support from big publishers, especially Japanese ones
- SQUARE ENIX
- Final Fantasy – new game or a version of Final Fantasy XV, or maybe even both
- NieR: Automata
- New Monster Hunter title
- A port of a previously successful title – Resident Evil 7 (an actual port, and not the streamed edition that was recently announced for Japan) or mayhaps Monster Hunter World?
- New IP
- BANDAI NAMCO:
- Tekken 7 or Soulcalibur 6
- TAKE TWO
- Borderlands GOTY Edition
- GTA V
- DOOM 2
- A new RPG project – perhaps the recently announced Fallout 76?
- A Call Of Duty game -: Black Ops 4 or maybe even a remaster of a previous title
- Spyro Reignited Trilogy
As mentioned befoee, there have also been a multitude of leaks, hinting at games like:
- Diablo 3
- Dragon Ball Fighter Z
- Overcooked 2
- FIFA 19
A handful of these have been reiterated to be coming to Nintendo’s system by multiple sources at this point, so it’s very likely they’re legit.
Are you excited for Nintendo’s E3? Just like the past couple of years they will be hosting a Direct livestream and not a showfloor reveal like Sony or Microsoft. Keep an eye out for it, as it will air on June 12 at 9 AM PT / 12 PM ET / 5 PM BST.